Florida Chapter of MWA monthly meetings offer members the chance to socialize, learn about their craft, get inspired, and exchange industry news. We meet on the third Saturday of each month. At our lunch meetings, we offer entertaining, educational programs by accomplished speakers. Topics range from craft to forensics to marketing and are intended for both published and unpublished authors. We welcome other professionals in the fields of writing and publishing, plus those who simply appreciate reading a good mystery novel.
Until further notice, meetings will be virtual only and you will not have the option of in-person attendance. A link and password to join the meeting will be sent to members the week of the meeting. There will be no charge to attend.
Check our Special Events page for meetings held in other locations around the state.
ATTN: FMWA MEMBERS – If you are not receiving the Rap Sheet or the Monthly Meeting notices, please contact us at info@MWAFlorida.org so we can get you back on the mailing list.
Here are the upcoming meeting dates: January 16,2020
FMWA JANUARY 2021 VIRTUAL MEETING
DATE: January 16, 2021
PRESENTATION: Tax Talk for Authors
This presentation will address tax concerns relevant to authors. Should authors incorporate or file as self-employed on a Schedule C? Is writing a hobby or a business activity and how does it relate to filing taxes? Mr. Gelber will discuss reporting income and expenses and will leave time to answer audience questions.
Mark Gelber is a C.P.A. originally from New York. He was employed by the Internal Revenue Service [I.R.S.] for 32 ½ years as a Domestic Team Coordinator and International Team Coordinator for numerous projects. Additionally, he had the opportunity to instruct new agents entering the I.R.S.
Since he retired 7 years ago, he has been involved in consulting activities regarding business and individual tax matters involving examinations with the I.R.S. and several forensic accounting matters. He continues to enjoy public speaking opportunities addressing awareness of tax law issues and filing adequate tax returns. He has worked for several accounting firms in South Florida. He has also had the opportunity to teach a number of classes for Liberty Tax Service.
He’s an avid baseball fan with three grandkids who he hopes to take to minor league baseball games in West Palm, Jupiter or Port St Lucie in the near future.
12:00-12:20: Virtual mingling
- Please register no later than Thursday, January 14.
- Sign up in advance for a (free) Zoom account.
- Go to the MWA Florida website and register. https://mwaflorida.org/events/monthly-meetings/
- A link and password to join the party will be sent the week of the meeting. There is no charge to attend.
- Until further notice, the FMWA virtual meetings are open to FMWA members and invited guests only. If you’d like to invite a guest, please register them on the website. https://mwaflorida.org/events/monthly-meetings/
- INVITATIONS WILL BE SENT ON THE FRIDAY BEFORE THE MEETING
- DATE: SATURDAY, JANUARY 16, 2021
- PROGRAM: Tax Talk for Authors
- PLACE: Virtual Meeting
- COST: There is no charge for Virtual Only meetings
- NEXT LUNCHEON IS SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2021: Please Save The Date.